Here are some tips when establishing those S.M.A.R.T goals:
- Set your goals to be realistic and specific for effective planning
- Make sure they are well defined and clear
- Take your business mission into account and align them accordingly
- Make sure they are measurable (how you will prove you’re making progress, and adjust your goals accordingly)
- Set a realistic time frame/end date for your goals
For a more indepth look into S.M.A.R.T goals , check out Hubspot’s article.
Thereafter, set your goals onto the actual plan for the website. In terms of your first step, you want to do a competitive analysis and look at some examples of how you would want your business website to be laid out. When you’re planning out your website you want to look at how many pages you want, and what those pages will contain.
For example, for our website we have the home page (landing page), services pages, about page, portfolio page, contact us page, etc.
In order to make a clear plan of what pages your website will have, it is then an imperative requirement that you create a site map visualization. This is the planning structure of the actual sitemap which will live on your website as an XML file, and acts like a books table of content for crawlers for Search Engine like Google, Bing etc. It tells these search engines what to index and display on Google Search results.